Overview of Awards
In order to promote astronomy, the distributed prize money has reached an amount of € 3,165.
Further € 2,300 are currently available through calls.
"Discover the Joy of Astronomy" (€ 300 - 1st Generation)
- Addresses pupils in the Baltic Sea area.
- Honors Prof. Manfred Schukowski (1928 - ...) from Rostock, DE - For his great contributions towards astronomy lessons in the German school system, for decades.
- Current call until June 30, 2020.
- For works in either German or English that have been generated after July 01, 2019.
- Jury consists of members of Observatory Greifswald e.V..
- For the very first time: Awarding of the winner during observatory's anniversary (July 12, 2020).
"Towards New Horizons in Astronomy & Aerospace" - Sponsoring award (€ 2,000 - 2nd Generation).
- Addresses adults interested in astronomy, students, PhD students and Postdocs.
- In memoriam of Prof. Johannes Conrads (1934-2005, longterm member of association,
Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon for his ground-laying and reviving works in Greifswald - 2001).
- Current call until October 31, 2021.
- For works in English that have been generated after January 01, 2020.
- Well-respected international jury from the Baltic Sea area.
- Awarding of the winner is typically scheduled for the association's annual meeting in January of the following year.
"Remarkable Lifetime Achievements in Astronomy" (€ 555 - 3rd Generation)
- Highest award of the association Observatory Greifswald e.V..
- Honors the founders of astronomy in Greifswald over 250 years ago, i.e. Mayer & Röhl.
- Substantial proposals can always be submitted to the management board.
- Awarding of the winner is typically scheduled for the Autumn annual meeting of the astronomical institutions of German Federal Land Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Provided professional and personal qualifications exist, prizes can be awarded only once - Prize awards can be omitted where applicable. Applicants must demonstrate how they contributed outstanding services to the goodwill of all mankind and nature, to towards international understanding and / or to peace on Earth. Recourse to legal processes are excluded, i.e. the jury decisions are final.
Your donations towards the base capital
for the Manfred-Schukowski-Schülerpreis and its prize money (€ 300),
for the Johannes-Conrads-Förderpreis and its prize money (€ 500) as well as
for the Mayer-Röhl-Ehrenpreis and its prize money (€ 555)
are heartily welcome.
Our bank details: Greifswalder Sternwarte e.V.
IBAN: DE11 1506 1638 0010 0686 32
BIC: GENO DEF1 ANK
at Volksbank Vorpommern e.G., Greifswald, Germany.
Designated use: "Your name + Address" ... in order to enable us to send you the contribution receipts automatically at the beginning of the new year. In case you want to be mentioned publicly as a donor then please add: "Yes - publish". Please, indicate any earmarked donations. Your regular bank statements will be sufficient as a simplified proof towards EU fiscal authorities, up to an amount of € 200.
Intended use of your donations
We are using all your donations, entrance and membership fees
for purposes as stated in the associations articles
which will be regularly checked for charitable status by the Finanzamt Greifswald (tax and revenue office).
Charitable status was confirmed for the last time, on Jan 03, 2018. We are looking back on a very successful tradition, since the inauguration of our association over 25 years ago, on July 29, 1992. We are getting legal tax advice from a renowned tax accountant of office in Greifswald. Additionally, we have two internal account auditors who are independent of the management board and they were elected by the association's annual meeting.
Administrating an association by the management board is under the strict terms of Vereinsregister [Register of associations] at Amtsgericht Stralsund [until May 30, 2018 at Amtsgericht Greifswald - Changes ex officio].